A couple of my girlfriends and I get together a few times a month to make dinner, and we most recently made this salad found from Love and Lemons. I’m not the biggest salad person because oftentimes when I eat one i’m left itching for something more, but I have to admit that I fell in love with this one. I enjoyed it so much that I made it again the same week for lunch!
It’s quick, takes minimal effort and will keep for days in the fridge as long as you don’t dress the salad.
I’ve changed the proportions to the recipe i’m providing, to better fit approximately 2-3 servings. We also substituted toasted almonds for the pistachios, and didn’t find it necessary to add cilantro (although you absolutely can). I also did some tweaking to the salad dressing.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: < 30 minutes
For the salad
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 cups of field greens (you can find the pre-packaged mixes at all grocery stores)
- 1/3 cup of feta cheese, crumbled (I used the lower fat variety)
- 1/3 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2-3 green onion sprigs
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic, white or malt vinegar
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut a medium sweet potato into even, bite sized pieces. You’ll want to make sure they’re all roughly the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Spread the sweet potato pieces out onto a baking sheet. Pour a tablespoon of canola oil over them and mix the potatoes with your hands until they are all evenly covered with the oil. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and place into the oven, allowing them to bake for 20 minutes.
- Place a pan on medium heat. Place the almonds in the pan and toast them. Make sure to keep shaking the pan to prevent the almonds from burning. Once done, take them off the heat and place them aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the salad dressing. Taste and adjust to your personal preference.
- Take the sweet potato pieces out of the oven after 20 minutes of baking and allow them to cool.
- Assemble the rest of the salad, adding the sweet potato once it has cooled.
- For best results, dress only the part of the salad you will be immediately eating. Place the rest of the salad and dressing in the fridge separately, only combining the two when you intend to eat it again.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!