A friend found this recipe and we decided to make it for brunch one day, with some key additions.
This recipe is delicious and absolutely no hassle to make – all you need aside from the ingredients is one frying pan and 15 minutes of your time (unless you make your own salsa, which I did, in which case it will take 20 minutes). You also might not believe that something this good could be healthy, but it really is!
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups of salsa
- 2 to 4 small whole wheat tortillas (this will depend on your personal preference – I preferred having just 1 tortilla for 2 eggs)
- 1/4 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped finely
- 4-6 green onion sprigs, chopped finely
- 1 avocado, sliced in wedges
- sour cream (I prefer the low fat variety)
- salt and pepper
- cayenne (optional)
If you want to make your own salsa
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced finely
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped finely
- 1/3 to 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you plan on making your own salsa, combine the above mentioned salsa ingredients in a bowl. Taste and adjust according to your preference.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F to toast your tortillas. You can also turn the heat to broil.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Place 1 cup of black beans into the skillet and spread out to form an even layer. Repeat with the salsa. Allow both to come to a simmer.
- Make 4 wells in the mixture and then crack your eggs into each, one at a time. Sprinkle the entire pan with salt, pepper and cayenne if you like a bit of a kick. Turn the heat down to medium low and cover.
- Allow the eggs cook until the yolks reach your desired consistency for runny-ness. I let mine cook for about 4 minutes. Once you are happy with how they look, take the pan off the heat.
- Place your tortillas down on a plate. Use a spatula to scoop two eggs onto each tortilla, one by one. Follow with any salsa + beans remaining in the skillet.
- Place the avocado on top of the mixture along with a scoop of sour cream. Sprinkle the plate with spring onions and cilantro.
Serve as is or with a few squirts of your favourite hot sauce. You’re guaranteed to start your day off on the right foot with this one!